The East African Community (EAC) is an inter-governmental organization comprising five Partner States, namely, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania. This EAC Child Policy document is the culmination of various processes, including consultations, aimed at the harmonisation of standards on and approaches to the implementation of child rights in the EAC.
The Policy seeks to:
- Provide a functional regional policy and institutional framework to facilitate the development, coordination, harmonisation and strengthening of national efforts geared towards the promotion of children’s rights and well-being.
- Guide Partner States in prioritisation and integration of child rights concerns in their planning, budgeting and resource mobilization processes.
- Establish and strengthen existing inter-country partnerships on the promotion of child rights, child protection and child well-being.
- Guide Partner States in the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the UNCRC, ACRWC and national commitments to children’s rights.
- Strengthen capacity in research, advocacy, knowledge management and innovation on child rights and child well-being.